Sister Gregory NADDY RSHM 1917 -2016 December 31, 1917 -December 29, 2016 A Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary for 79 years, Sister Gregory Naddy died on Thursday, January 29, 2016 at Regina Residence in Or-ange at the age of 98. Born in Kilmanaham, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, she was educated by the RSHM Sisters in Ferrybank, Ireland, and made her Novitiate in Tarrytown, New York. After her First Profession in 1937 she taught in New York before coming to California in 1941. She received a BA from Marymount College, Tarrytown, NY and an MA in Education from UCLA. In California, she taught at Corvallis HS, Studio City, Marymount HS, Westwood where she also served as Principal, and she spent thirty nine years teaching and in administration at Marymount College in Westwood and Palos Verdes. She served there as Academic Dean, Registrar and Dean of Admissions. She was a special Assistant and Advisor to each Presi-dent. Sister Gregory was a legend in the Palos Verdes area where she lived for almost 40 years. Over the years she received many honors as a memorable educator. In 1999 she moved to SHM Convent in Montebello and assisted Cantwell Sacred Heart of Mary HS stu-dents. She then joined the Casa Guadalupe Community in 2001 and in 2008 moved to Regi-na Residence in Orange. A Dodgers fan all her life, she knew each player by name. As her eyesight diminished she relied upon the radio for the coverage of each game. Many RSHM and CSJ Sisters read her the daily news, especially the sports section. Vin Scully called to wish her a happy 75th Anniversary of her Profession as a Sister and as an avid Dodgers fan. There was no World Series for the Dodgers this year, but she was hopeful for next year! Sis-ter Gregory was one of three children and was predeceased by her parents, Mary and Peter Naddy, her brother and sister. She is survived by her very loving nieces and nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews. She will be greatly missed by her entire family, her RSHM Sisters and her many friends.

May she rest in peace.

Reprinted from LA Times 1/5/2017


Brother Kevin Minihan, F.S.P. of the Brothers of St. Patrick passed away October 25th only a few days after his 75th birthday. Br. Kevin was born in San Francisco and attended the local Catholic gram-mar and high schools. He graduated from Fresno State University, majoring in English. He professed his vows as a Brother of St. Patrick in 1962. He had a profound love for the Congregation of the Brothers of St. Patrick and lived his entire Religious life accordingly. At the request of his superiors, he assumed many duties in the community, including his favorite: guest master. He simply loved meeting people, especially former students, tracing their past with them. He had a photographic memory for names. Once he met a person, he never forgot them.

Christina Ryan Chambers (Dec.25, 1923 - Oct. 19, 2016) Christina Ryan Chambers was lifted up to Heaven at 8:34 pm on Wednesday October 19, 2016 from her hospice room with her three remaining children at her bedside at Atherton medical staff and Vitas Hospice. Christina was born at the start of Christmas Day 1923 in Dublin while Christmas Eve mass was being sung by the nuns in the convent next door on Basin View. Christina was the 3rd child of 12 children born to Gerald Ryan and Margaret Mary McDermott Ryan. She was one of seven sisters with Lena, Rita, Ruth, Levine, Prim and Rhoda plus 5 brothers - Kit, Jerry, Ollie, Ronnie and baby Dermot. As a young teenager, the family moved to 45 Kildare Road in Crumlin. She was very active in school and church in several organizations. Christina went to work in the Polyikoff Garment Factory with her sisters at the age of 14 where she worked for 10 years. In 1944 Christina met her future husband Marcus James Chambers after the St. Patrick's Day mass. They married on Wednesday September 28, 1949 at the original St. Bernadette's Church. On November 2, 1954 Christina became a mother to Dermot Anthony Chambers. Two years later the family moved to Toronto which Christina loved. She worked at the Campbell Soup Factory. In Toronto she gave birth to their only daughter Lorraine Christina Chambers. A year later Marcus took off ahead of the family on Route 66 to Monterey Park in Southern California. Two more sons were born, Marcus Patrick Chambers and then Paul James Chambers. The family's first home purchase was in Rosemead while Marcus established his Chambers Upholstery business in San Gabriel. A few years later the family moved to another house which is still the family home. Marcus and Christina were frequent dancers at the monthly dances for the Southern California Irish in Alhambra with St. Theresa's Church and the Ireland's Own social club. In 1969 they took the whole family for a wonderful month to Ireland. Christina was very proud of her growing family and grandchildren, Lorraine's children - Rachel and Brendan Copley, Marc's daughter Molly Chambers Sadewasser and Dermot's family, wife Heather and sons Marcus and Kevin. Christina was preceded in death by the love of her life, her husband Marcus on June 15, 2002 at age 80 after several years of diminished health and the sudden death of her son Marcus on July 11th, 2015 at age 53. Though Christina was a widow for 14 years it was the loss of a child that was the hardest. Please send condolences and memorials cards to the family via Lorraine Chambers P O BOX 10253, Costa Mesa, CA 92627. Lorraine92627@live.com 949-378-3912

James John Curran, a 25-year resident of Torrance, passed away on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 in Torrance. Born on February 15, 1928 in County Kildare, James was still a baby when he and his parents James and Josephine Curran and three older siblings, immigrated to America via Ellis Island and settled in the Bronx, New York. James was very proud of his Bronx upbringing and told endless sto-ries of arriving six hours early for Yankee games and playing stickball, stoopball and jacks. At an Irish dance in 1952, he met Margaret Jane Shivnen, who had recently arrived from Ireland. They were married in 1953, soon welcomed two children, and then moved from New York to Los Angeles, settling in Westchester. James spent most of his career in sales for National Sanitary Supply Co in Los Angeles. With his mag-netic personality, he was a very successful salesman. He retired in 1992, giving him many wonderful years to enjoy life with his wife. His greatest joys were spending time with their three grandsons and he was a regular at their sporting events and spent many hours driving them and their friends to school and practice. James and Margaret enjoyed travel too, taking many trips to visit friends and family in Ireland, New York, Toledo, and various other locations. James is survived by his wife of 63 years, Margaret Curran, daughter and son-in-law Maureen and Fred Tafoya, daughter-in-law Carol Curran, and grandsons Brendan Curran, Derek Tafoya and Doug Tafoya. He is preceded in death by his son James Patrick Curran who passed away in July 2016.

Hon. Michael J. Farrell, retired judge of the Los Angeles Superior Court, died peaceably at home on October 16, 2016. He was born on March 9, 1938 in New York City, the son of Irish immigrants: Michael J. and Elizabeth (McQuade) Farrell. Michael completed fifth grade in the Bronx before the family moved to Los Angeles in 1948. Michael was a graduate of Loyola High School. He studied engineering for a year at Loyola University and then served in the California National Guard. He graduated from U.C.L.A, and Loyola Law School, and was ad-mitted to the California Bar in 1966. His initial legal jobs included Early Maslach and Hunt and Finn. Later he worked as an attorney for Global Marine, Inc. in Los Angeles, and for five years in the Philippines with his family. In 1985 he was named U.S. Trustee in Bankruptcy for the Central District of California by U.S. Attor-ney General Ed Meese. Governor George Deukmejian appointed Michael to the Municipal Court in 1986 and within two years elevated him to the Superior Court. He served primarily in the San Fer-nando Valley where for two years he was Supervising Judge of the Van Nuys District. Michael was active in various bar associations and on court committees. He co-founded the Irish American Bar Association in 1980. He was an active and devout Catholic. In January of 2016, he celebrated his fiftieth wedding anniversary with the love of his life Susan (Finley) Farrell. He is survived by his wife Susan and his five children: Michael Sean Farrell, Erin Man-soor, Colleen Ehrlich, Kathleen Dupin, Kevin Farrell, their spouses, and twelve grandchildren: Luke, Grace, and Katie Mansoor; Fiona, Scott, and James Ehrlich; Sean and Vincent Farrell; Colin and Faith Dupin; and Lucia and Michael Farrell. He is also survived by his brother John Farrell and his sister Mary Cancel, and by numerous nieces Sister Margaret O’Rourke entered into eternal life on Sunday, September 25, 2016 after an extend-ed illness. She was born in Knocknagoshel, County Kerry on January 23, 1932 to Michael and Teresa O'Rourke, the third of four children. She is survived by her brother Pascal and numerous nephews and nieces. An excellent and wholehearted educator, Margaret taught in schools in the Los Angeles Archdiocese (Our Lady of Peace, North Hills; St. Paul the Apostle, Westwood; Our Lady of the Rosary, Paramount). She also served as Supervisor of the Department of Education in the Archdiocese of San Francisco and as teacher at St. Michael School, Daly City. Her term on the Congregational Leadership Team of the Daughters of Mary and Joseph was marked by dedication and genuine caring. In 1982, Margaret was missioned to Uganda where she spent 14 years. On her return she served as Parish Sister at St.Athanasius, Long Beach. In retirement she volunteered at SAVES, St. Augustine Church, Culver City. Margaret's full life was influenced by her great concern for justice, especially for people on the margins. We are deeply grateful to the doctors, nurses and staff at Torrance Memorial Hospial and to the Hospice staff and caregivers at Marian Residence. Funeral Services were held on Wednes-day, Oct. 12.


Tom Cronin was born in Limerick in 1932 and past away in Santa Monica. Tom was one of twelve children. He came to this country in 1957. He was a natural athlete and joined the Limerick hurling team, Treaty Sarsfield, as a youth in Limerick. In the book, The Boys in Blue, a History of St. Munchin's Parish G.A.A, 1886-1987, the final of 1953 in Kilmallock before a crowd of 7,524 is described in great detail:

“The game lived up to all expectations as both teams gave their all.
The action was fast and furious in the opening 30 minutes which ended with Treaty leading by a solitary point, 0-4 to 0-3. The second half opened well for Treaty when Tom "Dasher" Cronin blasted home a goal and in doing so put an end to Ahane's hopes of glory. The final score was 2-5 to 0-5.” This preceding passage was read by his good friend, Gerry Vaughan at his funeral last month. The Treaty Sarsfield flag was draped over his casket.

It was always thought he had acquired the nickname "Dasher" for his good looks, but to the Boys in Blue, he was "Dasher" for his speed on the field. He was a proud Irishman, but also a proud American, who served our country in the late '50s after his arrival around 1957. He served for nearly two years in Alaska and when he was honorably dis-charged, he returned to California to begin a long career with TWA. He married the love of his life, Monica, in 1972 and lived happily in Santa Monica over 55 years.

Tom Cronin—the “Dasher”—had a United States honor guard Ceremony at his graveside . He was predeceased by his loving wife, Monica and his older sister, Margaret.(2008)
He is survived by a sister: Adeline; four brothers: Joseph, Cornelius, Michael and Patrick; twenty-four nieces and nephews and over fifty grand nieces and nephews. (Mostly in Ireland)
Tom’s only family in California is a niece, Christina Chubb, who lives in Irvine.

Tom is survived by his niece, Christina Chubb in California, his niece and godchild, Meg Epstein in Texas, two grand nieces, Olivia and Madison Decero in California, a nephew, Evan Epstein in Oklahoma and another nephew, Patrick King in Colorado. Most of his other nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews reside in Ireland.

Mary Catherine Murphy Burns November 14, 1930 - September 23, 2016 Mary Catherine known to her family and friends as 'Mai' was born in Muene Beage (Bagenalstown), County Carlow, Ireland. She grew up on the family farm known as Ratheadon which is Gaelic for 'Hill of the Fairies'. This Irish heritage and appreciation for all things Irish is the gift she gave to her children, grandchildren and friends. She was prede-ceased by her brother, Luke Murphy, Christina Murphy and Robert Murphy. She is survived by her siblings: John Joe Murphy, Paddy Murphy and Sister Clement "Bridie" Murphy. Mary Catherine Murphy Burns received her certificate of profi-ciency from the Coombe Hospital in Dublin, Ireland and became a certified midwife. She was capped in 1952 as a registered nurse. After serving as a nurse, midwife and lecturer in Ireland, Mary Catherine moved to California. Her career included being a flight attendant with Bonanza Air Lines and the Flying Tigers. She became the first nurse as a cancer care specialist in the country and trained staff at Good Samaritan, Saint Vincent and the City of Hope. Later, she joined the staff at Saint Mary's Hospital in Long Beach where she met our father, Robert E. Burns when he was visiting a patient. Mai and Bob were married in San Pedro, California May 31st, 1958 and cele-brated 40 years of marriage together. Bob predeceased Mary Catherine in 1998. She is survived by her four children; Maureen Erin and her husband Alan Berry, Kathleen Agatha and her husband Robert Campos, Robert Eugene Burns, Jr. and his wife Kara, and Vincent Francis Burns and his wife Becky; Grandmother of Kaleen, Taylor and Lauren Berry, Garrett and Connor Burns, Devon Campos and Lucas Burns including several nieces and nephews. Mary Catherine enjoyed traveling through-out the world. Her favorite trips were to Pakistan and New Zealand. She loved reading mysteries Dick Francis and Zane Grey novels and anything about Ireland. She enjoyed Opera, Agatha Christie and PBS. She required coffee with nonfat milk and well-made desserts with properly cooked crusts. In memory of Mary Catherine Murphy Burns, the family requests that a donation be made to the USC Roski Eye Institute, at 1450 San Pablo Street, #4801, Los Angeles, CA 90033. Email Rebecca.Melville@med.usc.edu phone 323-442-5396. O'Connor Mortuary (949) 581-4300.

Donald Augustus Ellis, eldest son of Mary and Augustus (Gus) Ellis (deceased), was born March 11, 1957 in Brooklyn, New York, and passed to his eternal reward on September 20, 2016 at the age of 59. In his early primary years, the family, who consisted of his parents, and brothers Steve and Ken lived in a house on E. 38th Street in the Flatbush area of Brooklyn for six years. As a young child, Don enjoyed many happy days playing with his brothers in the local park, neighborhood pool, at campgrounds, and outside on snowy days. In August of 1962, Gus asked Mary this pivotal question, “Think we could sell our home and move to L.A. by November?” Receiving a promotion and with Mary’s consent, the family moved to North Whittier, Califor-nia, where his youngest brother Terry joined the family five years later. In November of 1974, they moved once more to Hacienda Heights, California where his mother, Mary, still resides. During his youth, Don managed to overcome physical and educational setbacks through hard work and dedica-tion. While living in New York, his parents noticed that he needed help with speech, balance, and vision. Pa-tiently, he handled a number of trips to speech and balance appointments, along with one eye surgery before moving to California. When he began kindergarten in 1963 in Whittier, his teacher shared concern for his learn-ing ability. For the next several years, Don was enrolled in classes at public and private schools that empha-sized techniques of learning, with his last two years of school taking place at Wilson High School in Hacienda Heights. Beyond his time spent at school, other interests helped Don to be successful; he excelled at swimming. When he was thirteen, Don learned to swim at the La Habra Boys Club. At sixteen, Don would ride his bike to the Whittier YMCA, where he took swimming lessons and worked off his dues by cleaning the pool. In high school, he then joined the swim team and joined a diving club in Laguna Beach. With his never-ending supply of deter-mination, Don graduated from Wilson High School in 1976. Being extremely proud of his accomplishments, his parents gifted him a month-long trip to stay with his East Coast grandparents. While on his trip, he visited many family members; he especially loved taking the train to visit Washington, D.C., where he met a family friend, Dick Stubbing, a member of the Kennedy Cabinet, who took him on a grand tour of The White House. For the next twenty years, Don was a dedicated worker, faithful servant to their church, and a devoted family member. After high school, Don didn’t wait long to start working. Traveling by bus, he worked in El Monte as a custodian, and later as a security guard. After he received his driver’s license, Don drove to Sedona, Arizona to live and work with family members, Sue and Bruce Connolly, owners of the Sedona Market. There, Don was able to learn the grocery business, which later secured him a clerk position at Hacienda Heights Vons Grocery Store (1990-2013). Don didn’t just work as a means to make money, he worked to help others. Starting at St. Louis of France at a young age, then later at St. John Vianney, Don served as an altar boy during mass. As a person of strong faith, Don continued to support the church as he grew older by working at the Search Retreat and other church func-tions. With his family, Don was always supportive no matter the situation; especially when it came to helping his par-ents or brothers. Most of all, he enjoyed having fun with his nephews, nieces, and great nieces. Don loved the little joys in life; whether it was playing and watching cartoons with the kids, listening to music, dancing, caring for animals, playing solitaire, eating chocolate, watching old movies with his father/Dodger games with his mother, or cracking a joke; he found ways to laugh and make you smile. Starting in December of 1997, Don began the best eighteen years of his life. He was introduced to one of the greatest clubs ever: AA. Struggling through some problems, Don turned to a group of amazing men and women for help; a community of angels willing to love and support each other through the most difficult situations. They became Don’s community and family. Through their support, Don was able to find himself and to truly enjoy life on a more meaningful level. He created routines that involved faithfully attending meetings, eating birthday cakes at midnight, attending conventions and group outings such as male retreats, and his trip to Lake Havasu, with his faithful friend Jon, where he even drove a boat on the lake. Don was a dedicated, involved, and loyal friend to his community as well. As with all the people he loved, he thoughtfully and creatively figured out ways to support you. Whether it was to give you an emergency kit to keep you safe, a gas card if you were out of gas, a scratcher if you needed some luck, or a ride, Don specifically considered what he felt you needed the most and gave it, even if, it was just his time. He took his commit-ments and community seriously; such as with Harvey, his old man, that he would take to meetings and back home. Everyone was either a dear brother or sister. With Brianna, he also found a close friend; a person who he could confide in, receive advice from, and go out with around the clock, attending meetings, conventions, or concerts (large venue or in the park); They spoke daily for over ten years and shared a great love of the most magical place on earth: Disneyland. Don also truly loved taking care of her animals, whom he called his girls. Since June of 2013, Don’s determined nature reached its pinnacle test—brain cancer. With the advent of an emergency surgery, Don lost his ability to drive or to work; thus, he was forced to retire. Through all his labs, doctor appointments, and treatments, he stayed focused and strong-willed. Although weakened by his condi-tion, he was driven to still attend meetings by finding rides or traveling by bus. He gathered strength from his community of friends, especially Jon who was ever present; they all helped him to envision a long life beyond cancer. For a little more than three years, Don kept going, and enjoyed life. Don was loved deeply by his family, friends, and any who had the good fortune to meet him. He is survived by his mother, Mary; his brothers: Steve, Ken, and Terry; three sisters-in-law: Melissa, Michelle, and Kathleen; three nephews: Brian, Evin, and James; four nieces: Amanda, Carolyn (deceased), Makenna, and Rebecca; Amanda’s spouse, Jason, and their children: Jagger, Daylin, and Kenzie; Brian’s wife Miki; and a multitude of extended family members (Ellis, Griffin, Connolly, Briggs, Gumina, and Jett families) and dear supportive friends: Brianna, Jon, and many more living angels that filled his spirit with love and kindness. I have always known him to be a good son, but what I have learned since his illness and as his mother is that Don truly cared for others; it was his way of showing his appreciation for all the wonderful people that assisted him in his journey of life. He made some mistakes along the way in life, but would work it out through the support of prayer and retreats, making the most of his time on earth. As in the past when he received encouragement from Msgr. O’Callaghan to assist at masses, recently, Dan White encouraged him to become an altar server and Donna McGrail mentioned that he should consider becoming an usher. Don was thrilled that the church still needed him and that they felt that he could still do the job. I and the family would like to thank everyone who extended him a helping hand and an open heart from his early days of North Whittier through to his adult life. We would also like to thank his caregivers Debra (Mary’s right hand gal), Laura P., Suzie, Elaine, and Laura F., who took great care to assist his needs physi-cally, mentally, and spiritually. — Mary “In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” — Matthew 5:16

Fr. Michael Gilseman would visit Gus and Don several times during the last four years.

Don met Fr. Mike as a youngster and when Fr. Mike would celebrate the special afternoon masses for our reli-gion classes.

Maureen Quinn passed away on September 10th at a Dublin hospital. She resided between Drumcondra and North Hollywood during her retirement years. She is survived by her brother Dermot, a sister-in-law Bernadette, her niece Ciara, her nephew Fintan and their families. Maureen will be missed by her friends in Los Angeles. May she R.I.P. The news came from her brother Dermot in Dublin

Nancy J McCarthy- February 15, 1927 - September 3, 2016 Our beloved mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, aunt, teacher, and friend, Nancy Josephine (née Russell) passed away Saturday, Sept. 3, at Nazareth House in Cheviot Hills due to complications related to Alzheimer's. Born to Annie and James Russell in Bally-poreen, Ireland, she was one of 9 children, and last living. After studying in England, Nancy arrived in New York in 1949 aboard the SS Queen Elizabeth. She joined brothers Paddy and Tommy in Los Angeles, and began a 30-plus year career teaching for the Los Angeles Catholic Archdiocese at Cathedral Chapel, Saint Augustine, Saint Mary Magdalene and Saint Paul the Apostle. She met her late husband Liam, from Cork Ireland, at a Los Angeles Irish dance. They married August 29, 1954 at Cathedral Chapel. Nancy is survived by her 4 children, Don, Mary, Kevin, and Brian; "Nana" leaves 8 loved grandchildren, Finbar, Aine, Colleen, Brendan, Dylan, Maddy, Liam, and Niall.. Funeral services were on Saturday, Sept. 17, at Holy Cross Cemetery, Culver City, in the Church of the Risen Christ. In lieu of flowers, we ask that donations be made to the Alzheimer's Association at alz.org.


March 15, 1938 - August 21, 2016 Maureen Cunningham passed away peacefully in her Westchester family home on Saturday, August 20th, 2016 at the age of 78. Born in 1938 in Castlegregory, County Kerry, Ireland. Maureen was a beloved wife, mother, grandmother, church volunteer, prayer leader, devoted to God and our Mother Mary. She loved family, friends, and enjoying life. Maureen is survived by her three children, Noreen (Danny) Maricich, Patrick (Delia) Cunningham, Michael (Pam) Cunningham, her six grandchildren, Sean Maricich, Brieanna and Nikala Cunningham, Michaela, Seamus, and Liam Cunningham, her brother Patrick (Ann) O'Connor and her sis-ter Peggy (Joe) Garcia. She is preceded in death by her loving husband Sean Cunningham, her brothers Sean and Tom O'Connor.

Sister Marguerite Mcloughlin February 10, 1919 - August 7, 2016 A Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary for 78 years, Sister Marguerite Mcloughlin died on Sunday, August 7, 2016, at the age of 97, at Regina Residence in Orange, CA. Born in Glencar, County Antrim, she was educated at SHM School in Lisburn, and made her Novitiate in Tarrytown, New York. She received a BA in English from Marymount College, Tarrytown, an MS in Mathematics from Fordham Uni-versity, and an MA in Theology from Manhattanville College. A lover of learn-ing, she attended many Biblical, Spiritual and Leadership workshops and conferences throughout her life. Sister Marguerite taught for over 20 years at Marymount Fifth Avenue, Marymount Tarrytown, and Marymount Palos Verdes College. She was Formation Mistress in Tar-rytown Novitiate for 13 years. For 2 years she was in Spiritual Ministry at St. Mark's House of Prayer, Sag Harbor, NY. She also had a Spiritual Direction ministry in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. Sister Marguerite was in Province Leadership in California and spent 5 years in Rome. In later years she was in Parish Ministry at St. Francis de Sales, St. Jerome, and St. Frances Cabrini Parishes. She was retired at Casa Guadalupe in Montebello for 10 years during which time she was involved in a weekly Bible Study group at Miraculous Medal Parish. Her final 2 years were spent at Regina Residence in Orange. A woman of deep prayer, strong faith, she was deeply committed to our RSHM community, spirit and charism. Sister Marguerite was one of 9 children and was predeceased by her parents, 3 brothers, 3 sisters, and is survived by her brother Liam in Connecticut, her brother Neal in Northern Ireland as well as many nieces and nephews. She will be greatly missed by her family, her RSHM Sisters, and numerous friends.


Catherine Anne Wisdom Nee Smith Aka: Kathleen. Born 4th October 1936. Passed away 25th July 2016

Kathleen Wisdom, 79, Beloved mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister, aunt, god-mother passed away on July 25, 2016. Due to complications of lung infections due to ob-taining the whooping cough at age 6. She passed away in Fountain Valley Hospital surround-ed by loved ones.

Kathleen was born in Cavan Town , Cavan Ireland. Her parents Hugh Smith from Cavan, and her mother Mary (Convy) Smith from Sligo. Kathleen was the first of the family, to come to America at age of 18, in 1954. She came into New York, was soon joined by her sister Marie (Smith)Coulter and then her father and in time, mother, brothers and sisters. Kathleen was the oldest of 13. She was the oldest of the notorious "Smith Sisters". She is survived by her brothers and sisters, Marie, Tom, Hugh, Betty, Brigid, Josephine, Maggie, Francis and Iggy.

Kathleen met her husband James Fred Wisdom in 1956, was married in 1957. Fred was in the Navy. They were stationed all over the United States. Kathleen loved California and eventual-ly settled in Garden Grove. Kathleen is survived by children Rosemarie (Wisdom) Curran, Erin (Wisdom) Walker, Nuala Wisdom, Lorna Wisdom-Cross and son Edward J. Wisdom. She has 11 grandchildren: Cavan, Jeremiah, Patrick, Sarah, Shannon, Siobhan, Eamon, Mikey, Jo-ey, Tara and Tanner. She has 8 great-grand-children: Aiden, Finley, Fiona, Shea, Paris, Zachary, Evan,and little Maggie.

Kathleen attended Loreto College, in Cavan, Cavan Technical School, Institute of America-Programming. She was a Teamster, a firm believer in the Union for a better way of life. She had worked all her life, till the age of 75. ---Credit Manager, Computer operator and Keypunch operator.

Kathleen loved life and all it had to offer, she lived life to the fullest.
She loved her music and loved to dance.
She absolutely loved Shuffle-Board. She ran tournaments, would teach anyone that wanted to learn. She held office on the Southern Calif. Shuffleboard Hall of Fame for many years.

Kathleen believed in volunteering whenever needed. She was always passionate in her work, on and off the clock. She held several offices for the Irish Games Committee, Gaelic Athletic Association, Bolsa Little League, helped the Brothers of St. Patrick's with fund rais-ers and feis'. No job was to big or to little... she always had a “can do” attitude.

Kathleen always supported her children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. She would attend school functions, baseball, soccer, basketball, hockey games. When they played she would be there.

Kathleen was truly loved. She was beautiful inside and out. She will truly be missed.

Kathleen was predeceased by her mother, father, sister Rose, brothers Brian and Mick and grandson Patrick.

Kathleen didn't just love you.....

Memorial Mass will be held on August 13, 2016 at the Brothers of St.Patrick in Midway City @ 5 pm, following the Mass will be Celebration of Life @Old World Village in Huntington Beach, starting at 6:30pm.


Margaret Fitzpatrick, nee Drum, passed away on 25 June 2016. Margaret was the second of ten children born to Eugene & Matilda Drum, in Drumcarey, Co. Cavan,in 1922. She married our father, John Fitzpatrick, (born in Belfast) in Killeshandra, Co. Cavan in 1955. They had three daughters born in Belfast & emigrated to Glendale, CA in 1958. They settled in Eagle Rock & subsequently had three sons & one additional daughter.

Margaret was involved in St Dominic's Third Order, Blessed
Sacrament Confraternity, Mothers Club, Marian Award, St Dominic's Choir, The Love Ministry, Altar Committee plus many other activities for decades. Margaret was a cousin to Monsignor John Sheridan RIP. She was known for her delicious meals, soda bread & Irish baked goods. Margaret was a beloved & devoted Mother & Nana.

Predeceased by her husband John in 2002. Margaret is survived by daughters: Geraldine and Brigid; sons: Eugene, James and Paul; sons in law, daughter in law and nine grandchildren. Also survived by her brother, Seamus Drum in Portland, Oregon, sister Bonnie Drum in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, nieces, nephew & cousins in Ireland, Boston, Rhode Island, Las Vegas & Los Angeles, many extend-ed family members, friends & longtime neighbors.
Requiem Mass and Rosary were held at St Dominic Church, Eagle Rock. Internment at San Fernando Mission Cemetery. Mass celebrants included Monsignor Timothy O’Connell (Cork)
Our mother will be forever in our hearts and sorely missed. Rest in peace.
Thank you kindly, Brigid Fitzpatrick-Gray

Rev Father John Dominic Murray was born in Cork on 17th November, 1937 and passed away in Burbank on 15th June, 2016. The Requiem Mass took place at St Francis Xavier Church, Burbank with Archbishop Jose H. Gomez, Presiding. Cardinal Roger Mahony gave the Homily. Father John was in residence at St Francis for the past fourteen years.

Fr. John Murray, his sister Anne sent the following information.
John was born on 17 November, 1937 to john and Ellen Murray of Gardiners’ Hill, Cork City. He was the youngest of the family, having two older brothers and sister.
He went to the Angle Guardian School and subsequently to the North Monastery where he obtained the Leaving Certificate in 1956.
From an early age he had a keen interest in films which lasted all his life. The film Moby Dick was shot in Youghal, Co. Cork in the early/min 1950s and John wen to the Hotel in Cork City where the Stars were staying & was delighted to get the autographs of Gregory Peck and others. In a film magazine competition he won the gloves Tyrone Power in the King of the Khyber Rifles.
John started his studies for the Priesthood in 1956 and spent two years in the Apos-tolic School, Mungret College, Limerick. He continued his studies in St. John’s Seminary Cam-arillo, California for a further four years and was ordained on 30 April.1962 in St. Viviana’s Cathedral, Los Angeles. He worked in different parishes, was Director of Parish Councils at on time and also worked as a prison Chaplin.
John was a much loved member of the Murry family. He was a warm-hearted and generous person who also had a ready wit and keen sense of humour. His interest other than films were in reading, listening to music, history, poetry (he wrote an number of poems himself many years go), and travel. Though he lived in California he never forgot his Irish roots, always kept in touch, and loved to make the trio to Cork every year while able to-do so. From Cork he made many trips to other European Countries.
We are very sad at John’s passing and will miss him lot, but we celebrate his life and we thank the Good Lord for giving him to us for so long.
“Rest in peace John”


Cathy Toner Gallen was born on January 1st 1926 and passed away on May 7th, 2016 in San Diego. Cathy was born and raised in New York, married the love of her life, the late Mike Gallen, had two daughters , Marguerite and Monica, prior to relocating to California in 19 65. Her mother Kate Toner hailed from Ballaghadrreen County Roscommon and her dad who was born in New York was also of direct Irish descent.
Initially, Cathy and Mike moved around the LA area a bit before settling down for many years in the city of Torrance. As they were both deeply immersed in Irish circles in New York, attending all the various Irish functions and events, they felt they had landed in an Irish cul-tural wasteland here in California. Of course, that all changed when one fine Sunday after-noon they came across the “The Irish Hour” and realized that there was a vibrant Irish com-munity right here in S. California. It was not long after that they became part of a group that formed the now defunct “South Bay Irish American Club”, circa 1976. It was like old times again, organizing dances, house parties and various functions and trips to fun destina-tions, especially the trips to Ireland.. It was the same South Bay Irish American Club that then sponsored the very first benefit for the Irish Hour which was then subsequently picked up by other Irish clubs, notably “Ireland’s Own Social Club”
During her time in Torrance Cathy worked as a nanny for 21 years raising two other kids and formed a very personal bond with them which lasted until the day she passed away. As far as they were concerned she was their one any only true “Grandma”. On top of that as well as raising her own two daughters she took under her wings four young Irish lads and forged a lasting relationship with them. When they all got together the craic was mighty. Eventually, in 1989, Cathy and Mike moved one final time to San Diego to be close to their daughters and Cathy threw herself into helping raise her granddaughters through their formative years.
Cathy was smart and witty and enjoyed life to the fullest. She always displayed a positive attitude and loved being in contact with all her family and friends on a daily basis. She was the source of all positive and sometimes negative gossip and loved sharing with all who knew her. She also had many cherished friends throughout the Irish community in LA area. She is survived by her two daughters Marguerite and Monica and two granddaughters, Ash-ley and Meghan. She will be sorely missed

Sheila Dixon (nee Close) passed away peacefully in Seal Beach, on May 3rd, 2016, after an extended illness. Sheila was born to Joseph Close of Seapatrick village and Sarah Jane Close (nee Arlow) of Banbridge on November 20, 1926. She was pre-deceased by her brother John Joseph (Joe) Close of Banning, in 2012 and is survived by her sister Marilyn (Lynne) Fisher Seltzer of Carson City, Nevada. Sheila is also survived by two sons: John (and Clover) Dixon of Bellingham, Washington, Kevin (and Julia) Dixon of La Cana-da; and daughter: Saralyn (and Brian) Hannon of Long Beach; and grandchildren Melanie, Ryan, Athena, Sean, Janel, Drew and Kyle; and nephews and nieces Michael, Aaron, and Sarah. She and her brother Joe grew up on Rathfriland Street surrounded by friends and family. She often reflected fondly upon her upbringing in Banbridge and it was truly her heart’s home. As a teen, her father was stationed in London, during the The Blitz and the family lived there, surviving the daily aerial assaults of Hitler in the bomb shelters. During this time sister Lynne was born and, after the war, the family emigrated to Toronto, Canada where Sheila enjoyed her young adult years with many friends. It was there where she met John Dixon who had also previously emigrated from Northern Ireland, hailing from Cullybackey outside Ballymena. They were married in Niagara Falls, and the newlyweds emigrated to the United States, settling in Burbank, where they bought a home and raised three children; John, Kev-in, and Saralyn. Sheila was a resident of Burbank for 50 years. Sheila was a longtime employee of the County of Los Angeles’ Public Defender’s Office where she worked her way up from a Stenographer to Executive Legal Secretary by the end of her career, earning a Proclamation from the County of Los Angeles for her many years of service. Sheila loved to travel and instilled this value in her children as they have all enjoyed many trips back to the “Old Country” to enjoy the country as well as the many friends and family who remain there. While Sheila was a proud American citizen, she remained an ardent expatriate as well, being a longtime member of the Mayflower Club of Burbank and later the Britannia Club of Leisure World in Seal Beach, California where she spent her later years. This love of the Old Country also carried on to her children and grandchildren as they have been and are involved in local Irish music bands and competitive Irish Dance.

Miliosa Mc Weeney Lundy passed away in Oakland in May 3rd, one day before her 66th birthday. She suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis at an early age. She came to California with her family in October of 1963. She was a well known Traditional Irish musician as a young girl in Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim, and also in Southern California until she moved to the San Francisco Bay area after spending a few years in Ireland when she turned 18. While there she won All Ireland competitions in various Fleadhs around Ireland and was a multi-instrumentalist.
In the San Francisco Miliosa played with Kevin Keegan, Joe Cooley, and formed a Branch of CCE called the Cooley Keegan Branch. She and her husband, Richard Lundy, formed the Live Oak Ceili Band and also The Bridge Gap Ceili Band. They played at the Irish festivals through-out Northern California and beyond. She taught music at the Irish Cultural Center in San Francisco. She also taught High School in Oakland. Miliosa's death came as a shock to all who knew her. She is survived by her husband Richard and three daughters: Sarah, Suzanne, and Fiona; by her two sisters in Ireland - Mary in Tralee, Co. Kerry, Vera in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh; and by her two brothers - Vincent Mc Weeney in Penngrove, California and Tony in Petaluma, California. She is sadly missed by all who knew her.


Vera Mary Collinson was born in Blackrock, Ireland on 20th August 1934 and passed away in Westminister on 14th April 2016.
Vera met John Collinson in Ireland. They immigrated to California on their honeymoon in 1957. Vera was a loving, kind and gracious wife, mother, grandmother, sister and friend. Vera is survived by her husband of fifty eight years, John; four children: Jeane (Walter), Heather ( David), Laura (Bob) and David ( Sandy); nine grandchildren: Ryan, Patrick, Amber, Tyler, Kaylee, Jonathon, Emily, Isabella and Juliette; two sisters: Edna ( Ray) and Pat ( Da-vid ); sister in law, Sheila and several nieces, nephews and friends.
A memorial service took place at All Saints Anglican Church in Fountain Valley on 30th April. (L.A. Times)

The death has occurred of Jeremiah Brendan (Jerry) O'CONNOR of Templeogue, Dublin / Sneem, Kerry.
Retired Brigadier General GOC, Air Corps, (Templeogue and late of Drumlusk, Sneem, Co. Kerry), 13 April 2016, peacefully in Tallaght Hospital. Beloved husband of the late Bridget (Dotie), much loved father of Helen, Pat and Diarmuid and adored grandfather of Brendan, Alexandra and Aidan. Very sadly missed by his loving family, daughter-in-law Nancy, Peter and Michael, brother Michael and his wife Maureen (California), nieces, neph-ews, grandnieces, grandnephews, Air Corps colleagues, neighbours, relatives and friends. Predeceased by his sisters Joan, Maria and Eileen and brothers Aodh, Denis and David. Rest in Peace

Sister Mary Cronan was born in Cork in 1924 and passed away in Los Angeles on 13th April 2016.
She was a Sister of the Congregation of the Holy Faith for 73 years. Sister Cronin was one of the Sisters who brought the presence of the Holy Faith Sisters to California. Sister served as principal at St John of God, Norwalk and at Holy Spirit, Fairfield. She was Director of Religious Education at St John of God and at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Los Nietos. Sister Mary Cronin will be remembered as a gracious, good hu-mored and faith filled presence within her community. (LA Times)

Kathleen Theresa Deacy was born on 28th November 1940 in Ardagh, Co Donegal and passed away in Placentia on 9th April 2016. In 1956 Kathleen—“Kathy” came to New York to live with relatives. While in New York, Kathy worked in Macy’s Department Store and also as a bank teller. She met a man from Brooklyn names Joe Deacy. Joe & Kathy were married in 1966. They came to California in July 1973.
Kathleen Theresa Deacy is survived by two sons: John (Glenna) and Joseph (Denise); grandchildren: Ryan, Jamieson & Sean; sisters: Rose Moran, Finola Hilferty, Geraldine Sweeney; brother: Colm Sweeney; sisters-in –law: Theresa Carrig and Bonny Stone and brothers-in –law: George Carrig and Jack Deacy. Kathy was a dedicated wife, mother, and grandmother. She was also an active member of St Joseph’s Church in Placentia.

Thomas Best was born on 7th October 1915 in Belfast and passed away here on 7th April 2016. Tom came to New York in 1927. Tom was a 1st Lieutenant in the 8th Air Force during WW2 as a navigator bom-bardier, making more than 30 missions over Germany. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. Tom was predeceased by his wife, Frances Clark Best and his grand daughter Felice Lauren Best Webber. Tom is sur-vived by sons: William, Robert, Paul and Laurence; daughter Janet Best Page; seven grandchildren and three great grand children. (LA Times)


Katherine Murphy was born in Tralee, Co Kerry on 13th August 1942 and passed away in Tarzana on the 21st March 2016.
Orphaned as an infant, Katherine was raised by relatives. After working in London for a few years she came to California in 1964 and settled in Palm Springs. There she met a lady, Frances Frankel who would become Kathe-rine's forever adopted mom. In 1972, Katherine relocated to Los Angeles along with Mr and Mrs Frankel. In 1976 Max Oliver and Katherine Murphy were married. Even though burdened with health problems over the last several years, Katherine enjoyed music and dance. Kathe-rine Murphy Oliver is survived by her husband, Max and her little four-legged mutt, Bella. (Daily News)

Francis Vincent Macaulay
September 19, 1924 - March 20, 2016
Francis Vincent Macaulay was born September 19, 1924 in Cushendall, County Antrim. He was one of 10 sur-viving children born to Archibald Macaulay, a farmer, and Josephine McCaughan. He attended the one-room, Glenann School along with his brothers and sisters. At age 11 he was sent to St. Malachy's College, a boarding school in Belfast, 60 miles away. At age 17 he entered Queen's University Belfast, graduating with his medical degree at age 23. After a Houseman’s year (intern ship) in England, he sailed around Africa to Australia as a ship's surgeon. As a British subject he was required to serve in the Commonwealth military and chose to spend 2 years as a physician in the Canadian army. He subsequently entered the United States to do an anesthesiol-ogy residency at the University of Minnesota, where he met a beautiful young nurse named Virginia. Francis, married, Virginia on February 7, 1959 in her hometown of Youngstown, Ohio. With this remarkable, loving, selfless, loyal, energetic and practical woman, he embarked on a 57-year adventure in marriage and child-rearing that produced 8 children (4 doctors, 3 lawyers, and a dentist) and a diverse and rich network of friends and acquaintances. Prominent in the social circles were the Irish/English crowd, including Dorothy and George Cook, Pam and Andy Williams, Peggy Humrich and Patricia "Aunt Pat" Rhoads, as well as long-term friends from early married life in Garden Grove including the Farenbaughs and the Neelys, who remain close to our family to this day.
Francis also greatly enjoyed the friendship and intellectual companionship of men such as Msgr John Sheridan and Irish author Patrick Mahoney. Francis was a voracious reader with an incredibly diverse array of interests, from Irish history to British geo politics, the American West English and Irish literature and poetry, Catholic phi-losophy and the lives of the saints. As a child he had committed to memory a great breadth of English and Irish poetry which he could recite effortlessly even to his last few months of life, even as Alzheimer's gradually took his famous memory.
His personal habits reflected his enormous self-discipline. He never let his weight vary by more than a few pounds. He began jogging in the early 1970s and would haul his children down to the track at the local high school to call out his lap times as he ran his daily three miles. Despite his impressive intellect and self-discipline he was, paradoxically, absent-minded and disorganized when it came to daily tasks such as locating his glasses or doing any home maintenance, which was handled entirely and very capably by Virginia.
He loved the mountains, hiking and fishing. When we were children, he would leave home after work on a Fri-day with a few children in tow, drive several hours to Lone Pine, California, pitch a 60 pound Sears Canvas tent in a public park alongside Highway 395, sleep, wake early and head straight back to Whittier.
Under his direction the family began skiing at Mammoth Mountain, and whitewater kayaking in Northern Cali-fornia and Oregon. He spent many happy days fishing the lakes of the eastern Sierras especially around his sec-ond home in Mammoth lakes, California.
His love for his children was manifest in the sacrifices he made and in the effort he put (although not always optimally-directed or well-received) into the education of his children. He constantly emphasized the need for education and hard work, which had provided him and his siblings many opportunities beyond farming. He was a dedicated provider, working long, difficult and stressful hours at St. Jude Hospital in Fullerton while taking voluntary call at two other hospitals in Whittier to earn more money. He paid for all his children to attend Catholic grade school and college-prep high schools. He made sure to provide cultural and linguistic opportuni-ties by setting up an exchange program with the Varela, Maytorena and Hernandez families in Guadalajara, Mexico, which developed into great family friendships. He sent many of his children to Ireland to deepen their ties to their Irish family and heritage. He took joy and quiet pride in the success of his children, but would al-ways attribute any material successes ; his or others, to the blessings and protections our family has received through the many prayers and Masses offered for our family over the years. By far most important to him was his Catholic faith. He was raised with a traditional Irish Catholic faith, not a simple faith but a deep and edu-cated faith based on a profound understanding of Catechism and theology, overlaid by a personal and deeply-felt love for Christ and a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The practice of his faith was built around daily family recitation of the Rosary, frequent reception of the sacraments, lifelong Catholic reading and a profound sense of obligation to help the poor around the world. He was a generous and strong supporter of the missions, and would rarely turn down any request he received by mail to support a mission. The Macaulay house fre-quently hosted traveling missionary priests from around the world, especially the Columban fathers and the Divine Word missionaries like beloved Fr. Archie. He supported seminaries and seminarians, most notably Maynooth Seminary outside of Dublin, Ireland. He set an example of the practice of the faith for all his children and worked to instill faith in them. Francis Macaulay was a man of impressive intellect, accomplishment and faith. He was richly blessed in life.
Please join us in praying for him in death.

Katherine Quigley Connelly, “Kit” was born in Sligo and passed away in Santa Monica. Her funeral took place on 14th March at Holy Cross Cemetery. Kit was predeceased by her hus-band, Patrick. Kit was one of the first Catholic women to graduate from Trinity College, Dublin. She is survived by her sister Nan Brouder; brother Ted Quigley; step children Kevin; Michael, Patrick Connelly & several nephews & nieces.

We mourn the death on March 1, 2016, of Breeda O’Sullivan Cusack. Born in 1929 in Ballinat-tin, Co. Kerry, Breeda arrived in California with her husband, Harry, in 1966 and shortly thereafter she became one of the first teachers hired for the fledgling Head Start program in Los Angeles. A true Gael, Breeda was devoted to the Irish Community. In 1988, she was named “Irishwoman of the Year” by the city of Los Angeles. Her contributions toward preserving Irish culture were many and diverse. She joined the Orange County Gaelic Choir at its inception in 1981, was involved in the Irish Ethos movement, and originated the “hedge school” at the Irish Fair. This “Gaeilgeoir” (Irish Speaker) was a huge supporter of the Irish Language community. Every Wednesday night, for over 25 years, regardless of the weather, Breeda hosted an “Irish Book Reading Society” or “Sochai Leamh na Gaeilge” at her home in Inglewood. Breeda is survived by her brother, Ulich, in England, and locally, by her sister-in-law Mary Cusack, her niece, Helen Cusack Condit, and nephew, Steve Cusack. The Williams family (Maureen Kennedy, Liam, Sean) and the Whelan family (Ramona, Kevin and Eileen Roberts) will miss their loving “Aunty” Breeda. She was a dear and devoted friend to her “nearly sis-ter-in-law” Monica Williams Martin. Breeda was finally released from her pain and is with her beloved Harry, who died in 2010. She is at peace. Burial took place on March 19 at Holy Cross Cemetery. (from Monica Williams Martin)


Born March .23, 1960 at the family home, Lakeview House, Patrick O'Shea was the eighth of ten sib-lings who enjoyed an idyllic Life surrounded by music and nature in Crowenstown, County Westmeath, Ireland. He was a talented boy who excelled with the tin whistle, accordion, and piano among others. As a son of the local headmaster, Patrick earned a reputation as being "bold as brass”.
In his early teens, the family relocated to Mullingar, a larger town that gave Patrick his first taste of a more "cosmopolitan" life. He and his siblings all began to learn the hospitality trade (whether they wanted to or not!) at the family's pub. In his final years of school, Pat-rick also participated in the FCA-the Irish military reserve, and the Mullingar Town Band (on trombone), where his love of travel abroad first germinated.
After graduation, Patrick got a job as a bank teller." Not surprisingly, the world of banking did not suit young, adventure-seeking Patrick. He spent time in Dublin and Amsterdam (where he worked at his first of many hotels.) Then after a couple years in London in more; hotels, he decided to move to America and landed in Los Angeles.
In L.A., Patrick soared in the hotel industry, eventually climbing the ranks to become a man-ager at the prestigious Chateau Marmont. During the Chateau days he met the love of his life, Isaac Prado. They became a beloved couple popular in both the hospitality and enter-tainment production industries.
Patrick's reputation for excellence was so well known that he was asked to be the opening general manager for the infamous Standard Hotel in West Hollywood. After years of growth and success, Patrick decided to try his hand in real estate. Though he was a successful real-tor, he was again tempted back to the hotel industry. This time as General Manager for the glamorous Sunset Tower Hotel.
Patrick steered the Sunset Tower through its vital young years, garnering awards and a stellar reputation. Alas, Patrick was then diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia. He had to leave his beloved career in the hotel industry to fight his condition. For six years, Patrick wouldn’t allow compromised health or even compromised mobility to affect how fully immersed he was with his neighbors both nearby and around the globe.
Patrick left this adventure to start the next one on February 2S, 2016, surrounded by his clos-est friends and family.
Patrick was the nephew of the late Chris O’Shea.

John Jeremiah Cremins, Jr. was a first generation American, the only child of Irish immigrant par-ents. A humble man, he was known as "Jerry" to his family and friends.
Under pinning a jovial personality was a man of principle, who possessed an iron will and a war-rior's stoicism. He led a life that was devoted to service: service to God, his country and his family. He served all well.
Jerry was born in Los Angeles on October 20, 1925. He grew up in Los Angeles and attended Cathe-dral High School. During World War ll Jerry served in the United States Navy as a medical corpsman from 1944 to 1946. Following his discharge from military service, he applied to the Los Angeles Po-lice Department (LAPD). He graduated from the L.A. Police Academy in February 1947 and was assigned to Accident Investigation Division (AID). During his career with the LAPD, he went on to work assignments in Newton Division, Metropolitan Division, Commission Investigation Division, Wilshire Division and Burglary-Auto Theft Division. He established lifelong friend ships with several of his partners, particularly Calvin Drake and Mervin King.

Jerry's faith in God and sense of duty formed the foundation of his charact er. He was a devoted son, husband and father. In 1950 JerrymarriedCathleenColeman, and their marriage produced three chil-dren: Denis, Timothy and Maureen . While raising three children, Jerry cared for his elderly mother and his invalid father, who was completely incapacitated due to Parkinson's disease . Jerry often spent his days off from work taking his father to doctors ' appointments or conducting maintenance chores on his parents' home. Jerry's widowed father-in-law also lived with the Cremins family for ten years prior to his death in 1968. Jerry was a detective supervisor when he eventually retired from the LAPD in 1977 after an honorable 30-year career. Despite his formal retirement, Jerry continued to serve the LAPD as a reserve officer until 1991, when he put his duties aside to help care for one of his daughters-in-law during her recovery from a serious illness. He also served as an officer on the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles Retired Fire and Police Association for 23 years. Simultaneously he served as the treasurer of the Associates, another non-profit organization comprised of retired LAPD personnel. As much as he loved the LAPD, Jerry's family was the main focus of his life. He and Cathleen were lifelong partners as they negotiated the various challenges that confronted them over the years. As a team, they made many sacrifices to ensure that their children received an excellent, morality-based education upon which to build successful careers. In addition to Cathleen and their children, Jerry leaves this world with two daughters-in-law (Marie and Julie Cremins), whom he loved as if they were his own daughters. He will be deeply missed by his jive grandchildren : Tim and wife Michelle; Todd and wife Kelsey; Sean; Rob and wife Annie; and Alexandra. Jerry's legacy also includes his four great-grandchildren: Bruton, Katin, Kennedy and Zyler. Jerry Cremins was a member of what has been referred to as America's "greatest generation." He served his country in time of war, and continued his service to the community as a police officer for over 40 years. He lived to mark his 90th birthday and to celebrate his 65'" wedding anniversary. Perhaps his greatest legacy is the example he demonstrated to all through his spirit of service and giving. He was always very generous with that most precious of all things-his time! He possessed both physical and moral courage. Despite all his painful medical challenges, Jerry never complained or bemoaned his fate. He always sought to deal with whatever challenge was before him, never expressing fear or doubt. The essence of Jerry Cremins could be characterized by the Bible verse from Micah when Israel asks the Lord what is re-quired of us. The Lord answers, "To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”


Monsignor John Francis O’Byrne was born on 29th January 1935 in Grange, Co Tipperary and passed away here on 27th January 2016. His father, James, passed away before Monsignor was five years old leaving his mother to raise three young children.
After attending St John’s Seminary in Waterford—(1954—1961) Monsignor was ordained on 18th June 1961 for the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
Monsignor served several parishes including St Jane Francis, N. Hollywood; St Lawrence Martyr, Redondo Beach; Immaculate Conception, Monrovia; Nativity, Torrance.
He served St Catherine Laboure’s parish in Torrance first as an Associate for ten years fol-lowed as the Pastor for twenty six years until his retirement.
Monsignor O’Byrne is survived in Ireland by his brother Michael; sister Sr Anne O’Byrne
R.G.S. and niece Anne Marie Kelly and family.

Margaret Philomena Lydon Boylan was born in Co Mayo on 25th October 1923 and passed away here on 29th January 2016.
Margaret completed her nurse’s training in London during World War 2 and worked as a nurse in London before coming to America in 1948.
She worked as a nurse for over forty years, including a post at St Joseph’s Hospital in Bur-bank.
She was predeceased by her husband of 53 years, Daniel in 2013. Margaret is survived by two sons: John and Arthur; two daughters: Susan and Kathleen; and four grandchildren. Memorial mass at St Robert Bellarmine Church with Rev John Collins the Celebrant

Nora “Murphy” Drohan

It is with great sorrow that I am letting you know that my Mom, Nora “Murphy” Drohan has died. She passed away at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena after fighting pneumonia for 10 days in the hospital. It was January 28th, 2016. It was a very small service by Father Cassidy at Im-maculate Conception in Monrovia. Mom was a parishioner there since she first came here from Ireland, via Canada, in the early 50’s. Mom met my Dad through her brother Richie in Toronto. My Uncle Richie met my Dad at his boarding house in Toronto and realized they had even been on the same boat over from Ire-land. Later, when my Uncle Richie sent for Mom, and she got a place in a Boarding house on the same street, Dad fell head over heels for her beautiful Irish Eyes. After a very serious lung surgery, Mom was told to move somewhere like Southern California for the clean air quality. At that time a lot of people came here for the clean air! Mom and Dad lived in To-ronto but married In Montreal at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. They came to California by Train and made stops in Boston & New York to visit with Moms relatives, possibly the Curtins and the Kellehers. Dad wanted 12 kids and Moms lung Doctor said no kids, so they compro-mised with five. Mom came from a lively family of music and dance. Her parents & brothers played the fiddle, accordion, concertina, and sang. People would come to their house for music and dance on Saturday nights. Mom also loved to go with the local church youth to do drama skits for the local towns to earn money for the church. So, when Mom and Dad settled in Monrovia she didn’t waste any time finding Immaculate Conception Church and becoming a Parishioner. The pastor at the time was Msgr. Dee. Irish, of course! Followed by Fr. Jack Foley, another great Irish Priest, not quite as strict as the Msgr! Then came our lovely Father Cassidy. Mom always helped out with the hall dances, especially the St Pat-rick’s Day Dances. She also became a CCD Teacher and made many friends. Her friends at the Church, her Hill Street Neighbors, and the Irish Community were her life! Mom has 8 grandchildren and 3 great- grandchildren with one more great-grandchild on the way. I had moved up to Oregon for many years but on a visit to see Mom in 2009, she asked me to go with her to Ireland to see her brother Richie who was sick and possibly dying. It was during that trip that I realized Mom needed to have someone actually taking care of her, not just stopping by the door once in a while. That’s when I moved back to California and by 2011 was taking care of Mom full time. She was diagnosed with moderate dementia but she still really enjoyed her life the last few years. We went swimming at the local YMCA, we played cards, we did jigsaw puzzles, and she loved going out to eat. We even got the words to The Celtic Thunders Heritage DVD and we would sing along while watching the DVD. We would go to the Movies on Myrtle, and the Friday Night Street Fair. She loved the movies with strong women in them. Mom was a 27 year Breast Cancer Survivor and the Strongest Wom-an I know! We would visit with the neighbors often and walk the neighborhood. She never lost her sense of humor or her ability to smile. Some people with Dementia do forget how to smile but not my mom, NORA! My husband, Dennis, retired over a year ago and spent every day of his retirement helping me help SPOIL my Mom. My dad was a good dad but he was a 50’s husband. Mom was not used to being spoiled by a Man and she had a lot of fun being waited on by one! She also loved her gardens out front and back. Sean kept them up for Mom when she could not do it anymore. She still thought she did it all herself, but that was okay. She really loved all the sunflowers he planted in every color, yellow, red, brown, and orange. We took her to The 2015 St Patrick’s Day Gala. It was especially sweet because seeing Tom McConville himself reminded Mom of all the lovely Sunday afternoons she and my Dad had listening to the Irish Hour. My brother Sean even called us on the way home, after midnight, to see if we were okay! It was the highlight of her last year on this earth! I was so glad I put her in her tennis shoes that night. She danced until we left. She never stopped talking about that dance! Now she’s dancing and singing with her family again. There are NO family members left at Hill Street. You can contact Mairead (Drohan) Green-well at P.O. Box 1162, Monrovia, CA 91017

Lawrence Patrick “Larry” McNeil passed away Sunday evening at the VA hospital in Westwood, He was 82. Larry was born in Los Angeles on August 18, 1934 to Joseph and Ellen McNeil, attended Ca-thedral. Chapel Grammar School and graduated from Loyola High School in 1951. He attended Loyola University and graduated from UCLA, studied at Wharton School of Business and received his MBA from Long Beach State. A proud veteran of the United States Navy, Larry was a Naval Aviator flying 5-2 F’s “Stoofs” aboard the U.S.S. Yorktown. Larry was instrumental in building First Pacific Advisors as President of Marketing and President and CEO of FPA Fund Distributors.
An original investor in 1966, Larry was instrumental in the founding of Schramsberg Vineyards in Ca-listoga and served on the Corporate Board there for many years. He was well known for his generos-ity and pride in pouring the bubbly whenever he was with family and friends. He also planted a 20 acre vineyard of pinot noir high upon the hills of West Mann on his ancestral family ranch in Nicasio, California.
Larry served on the boards and advisory committees of Catholic Charities, Blind Children’s Center Little Sisters of the Poor. He was also a member of the Knights of Malta and the California Club. Devoted to his family, Larry is survived by his wife of 56 years, Jane MacFadden McNeil, their 2 chil-dren, Dennis McNeil and Sally McNeil Gallagher, 5 grandchildren, Patrick and Sean Gallagher and Theresa, Julia, and Maura McNeil as well as his sisters, Mary Ellen Hoffman and Martha McNeil. He is preceded in death by his parents, his brother Joe and nephew Timothy McNeil.
He was known by his grandchildren as their ff1 fan and tried to attend all events in which they par-ticipated, always faithfully in the stands cheering and encouraging.
Larry and his wife were universal travelers and he always remained true to his Irish roots with his love of singing, socializing, and great story telling. He was also an avid beautiful lifelong skier. His family will remember him as being brave, strong, kind, gentle, patriotic, funny, and inspiring and will always picture him in his famous McNeil tartan plaid trousers.

Sr Maura Byron, a Sister of St Louis for seventy years passed away on 15th January 2016. Born in Ballina, Co Mayo she entered religious life in 1945. Sr Maura was one of the pioneer group of Sisters of St Louis who came to California in 1949. She was a teacher, a principal and a religious leader here for forty years. Sr Maura then trained as a chaplain and served in that ministry for another twenty years. Sr Maura Byron is mourned by the Sisters of St Louis, her cousins, students, colleagues and friends.

Johnny Comerford was born on April 21st, 1937 in Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny and died on the morning of January 11th, 2016 of a suspected heart attack in London. He is survived by his wife Margaret from Ballingarry, Co. Tipperary and his four children Ken, Aiden, Caroline and Marie, also survived by his brother Fr. Pat, Chaplain at St. John´s Hospital, Santa Monica, his sister Mary in Dallas, brother Aidan and his wife Lala in Sherman Oaks, and numerous sib-lings in Ireland and the UK.
As a young man he worked in the local coalmines and like so many of his contemporaries emigrated to London where he lived for over 60 years. As a youngster he played hurling and cricket which was popular in the north Kilkenny area because of the mines. Later on, he be-came an avid golfer and was a member of Beckenham golf club in London and over the sum-mer played at Castlecomer and most of the courses around the southeast of Ireland. Being married to a girl from Tipperary in the 60s was difficult for a lad from Kilkenny because then, unlike now, Kilkenny could do everything but beat Tipperary. In the late 70s, he made the first of many trips to Los Angeles and made many friends here, the last time being 2010. In latter years, he was in Ireland every August to cheer on his beloved Kilkenny in the All Ire-land semi final and frequently the All Ireland final the first Sunday of September.
The funeral Mass was held on Thursday, January 21st at Our Lady and St. Philip Neri Catholic Church in Sydenham, south London the main celebrant being his brother Fr. Pat Comerford.